Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Experiential Exercise

Library Catalog:

Author: Anderson, Stephen O.
Title: Technology Transfer for the Ozone Layer.
Publish Location: London.
Publisher: Earth Scan.
Publication Date: 2007.

Newspaper of Current Events Database:

Author: Not Specified
Title: Has Global Warming Changed the nature of Our Season Forever?
Publish Location: Not specified
Publisher: Sconthorpe Evening Telegraph.
Publish Date: March 11, 2009.

Academic Search Premiere:

Liz Szabo. "Ozone Pollution Amplifies Risk of Fatal Respiratory Illness. "USA Today(n.d.). Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. [Library Name],[City],[State abbreviation]. 18 mar. 2009

One Disciplinary Database: GEOBASE

Author: Barret b. De Maziere M. Demoulin P.
Title: Retrieval and Characterization of Ozone Profiles From Solar Infrared Spectra at the Jungfraujoch.
Publish Location: Not specified.
Publisher: Elsevier B.V.
Publish Date: Copy right 2008. All rights reserved.

World Wide Web: Google.com

Title: The Ozone Layer
Author: Brien Sparling
Publication Info: Nasa Official: Walt Brooks.
Web link: http://www.nas.nasa.gov/about/education/ozone/ozonelayer.html


Before I began my research on the topic, Ozone Layer, I thought it was going to be a difficult task to accomplish. While researching on Google.com, I saw numerous links that the site provided. As I briefly skimmed through several of the links, I didn't find one that interest me as much as I thought it would be. In doing so, I changed my research terms so that it could be more specific and narrower.

The sources I selected on Goggle was "How does the ozone layer protect us" (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_ozone_layer_protect_us). After reading the information that was provided by the site, the ozone layer acts like a sponge which absorbs the suns UV rays that it emits everyday. The first search terms I used were "Ozone layer." At first, these search terms gave me more results than what I expected it to give. I guess the search terms were too broad so I narrowed it down by changing the search terms to "How does the ozone layer protect us?" These search terms made it easier to understand the basic duty of the ozone layer which I stated earlier, that it protects us from the suns UV rays.

As I evaluated my terms, i know it had to be more narrow after the first attempt. In doing so, I decided to change my search terms from "ozone layer" to "how does the ozone layer protect us." After reviewing the results and information provide by these two terms, you can tell a difference between these two. When I compared them, the search terms "ozone layer" provided me with numerous information that is not necessary. While on the other hand, my second search terms which is "how does the ozone layer protect us" gave me a narrower result and basic information that is just enough to know how the ozone layer works.

In conclusion, I learned that the ozone layer not only absorbs more than ninety percent of the suns deadly UV rays but also protects us from the heat the the sun emits towards the Earth. I also learned that the ozone layer is made up of mostly Nitrogen. These research assignments have made me become a better student by making me more alert and organized. I now know how to use online research databases which will allow me to conduct my researches whenever I need to.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote: "I narrowed it down by changing the search terms to 'How does the ozone layer protect us?'" I'm glad that worked for you, but particularly in databases, you need to stick to the key words, like

    "ozone layer"
    AND
    protect

    and skip the in between words.

    You found five good sources and gave me the bibliographic information, so that's good.

    With evaluation, I hoped you'd use C.A.R.D.I.O. and evaluate two of the five items you found in your search.

    I was also looking for two complex research questions and two additional databases that you might use to continue your search.

    You've given me a brief description of your topic and you talked about your strategy.

    ReplyDelete