Sunday, January 11, 2009

Unit 1, Part 1 Assignment

I.  Research Log Entry

1a.  I knew authority, currency, ad relevance, ad depth.
1b.  I didn't know objectivity, and information type.

2.  Three  elements you need to consider when researching is where to research, what you need to know about the topic, and the right question to ask.

II.  Research Log Activity and Entry

1.  What class should be taken after Math 802?

2.  http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-103&p=solar+energy+systems&rs=0&fr2=rs-top (web page for "Solar Energy Systems").
3.  I choose www.Google.com to be my best web resource.
I tried to answer Solar Energy Systems.
I used Google as my search engine.
How durable are Solar Energy Systems?
          - The search terms I used were Solar Energy Systems.
          - When I entered my terms, I received several results, but none different when using OR.
Evaluation
          - What materials did scientists use to make Solar Energy Systems.
          - I concluded that the site gave me a good insight about the Solar Energy Systems. 

Questions that came to mind while conducting my research were how are solar energy systems made? What makes solar energy systems durable? How can solar energy systems withstand heat and rain storms?

1 comment:

  1. You write:
    2. Three elements you need to consider when researching is where to research, what you need to know about the topic, and the right question to ask.

    These are important activities in research, but not evaluative. Evaluative techniques are those found on the wiki page for Evaluating Web Sources, for example, credibility, authority, relevance, etc.--the CARDIO of the module I asked you to view.

    I gather you chose to research solar energy systems rather than what class to take after math 802, which is good because it's a more appropriate question for the web.

    You wrote: When I entered my terms, I received several results, but none different when using OR.

    You must have retrieved different numbers of results. I repeated your searches and got these results:

    Solar Energy Systems
    (which the system searched at
    Solar AND Energy AND Systems
    69,700,000

    Solar OR Energy OR Systems
    5,210,000,000

    As you can see, you get many more results with OR than with AND. The lead items in the results list may be the same or similar, but you are retrieving many more results.

    You didn't tell me what web site you finally picked to evaluate and you didn't tell me how you evaluated the site. You write: What materials did scientists use to make Solar Energy? This is a question, not an evaluation of the site using criteria such as authority, quality, relevancy, etc. While you might have gained insight about the topic, you still haven't determined if the information you gained is valid.

    ReplyDelete