1. Which of your question did you try to answer?
-What is Biochemistry?
2. What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen?
-Biochemistry
3. What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search?
-Biochemistry
4. What item did you eventually chose? Why?
-I eventually chose Plant Biochemistry because I want to know want to know the basics but along with other information such as plants ad animals. Basically how everything is associated with Biochemisrty.
5. Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.
-Author: Bowsher, Caroline
-Title: Plant biochemistry
-Place of Publication: New York, Garland Science
-Edition: No specified
-Date o f Published: 2008
6. When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?
-I chose a quote and wrote it down on my notebook, but I forgot my notebook in the library and when I returned back to the library to get my notebook it was gone.
7. What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks?
-A reference book allow you to the full understanding of what you're really looking for. If it was just a book you would find at a public library, the information won't be as efficent and as thorough as you would get with a reference book.
8. In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?
-I think the information came from the date it was published which was in 2008.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First, I'm sorry you lost your notebook.
ReplyDeleteSecond, the book you choseis actually in the book stacks, not in the reference stacks. To find reference items, you need to combine your search with "reference collection," which you select from the "location" drop down menu in the advanced keyword search screen.
I tried to combine "plant biochemistry" with "reference collection," but got no results. So I broadened my search and entered just "biochemistry" combined with "reference collection." I got 6 results. When I scrolled through them, the fifth one was
A dictionary of botany : including terms used in biochemistry, soil science and statistics by George usher.
This book is in the reference stacks and it will provide a list of terms that are defined for you. That list will be focused on botany (plants), but include biochemistry, soil science, and statistics. The location is reference stacks, the call number is QK9 .U8 1979 and it's listed as "on the shelf" because we don't let people borrow reference books.
A reference book is often a list of definitions or a list of topics (encyclopedia) or something that is a very broad overview of a topic. That's what makes it a reference book.
As we move into databases, you will find that you need to narrow your terms, but I wanted everyone to work with broad terms as well. If you are looking for a broad overview in a book that provides broad coverage, you want broad terms. Conversely, if you are looking for a specific topic that's narrow, you want a very targeted piece of material, like an article inside a periodical/journal.
I hope this is clear.