Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Unit 4, Part 1 Assignment

Research Log Entry 1

1. From Group 1, I chose "Newsweek"-TP1 A6
From Group 2, I chose "Chemical and Engineering News"-RT1 J655
From Group 3, I chose "Journal of Comparative Psychology"-TP1 C35

2. Name 3 articles, one from each of the three journals you chose.
- Newsweek: Symbol for Free Energy
- Chemical ad Engineering News: How a Virus Causes Cancer has been Shown.
- Journal of Comparative Psychology: Relation Between Food and Water Intake in the Pigeon

3. What are the major differences among these articles?
- The differences among these articles are the titles, information, and subjects.

4. What are the major differences among these periodicals?
- The major differences among these periodicals are their appearances and weights. Also the information the periodicals contain in them.


Research Log Entry 2


1. Which database did you enter to conduct your search?
-I chose Britannic Online to conduct my search.

2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
-I used the term Biology to conduct my search

3. How many results did you retrieve?
-I retrieved over 60 results.

4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
-My search had less than 100 results.

5. Once you got your results to around 100(or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
-I chose the first result because it was the only topic that had basic biology.

6. How did you determine this article was meaningful?
-There were many results given for this search. I chose Biology because that is part of my major and that is meaningful to me.


Academic Search Premeir

1. What terms did you enter to conduct you search?
-Biology.

2. How many results did you retrieve?
-485,228 results.

3. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow you results?
- I used the terms "Plant Biology" to narrow my results. The results came down to 6,702.

4.What differences did you note in how you needed to manipulate your search terms in this different database?
-My results were more narrow when I used the terms "Plant Biology" rather than just Biology.

5. Once you got your results to around 100(or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
- I couldn't get my search down to 100.

6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article.
-Author: Danrong Zao,Yuqiong, Chen,Dejiang, Ni.

-Title: Effect of water quality on the nutritional components and antioxidant activity of green tea extracts".

-Edition: Vol 113 Issue 1.

-Place of Publication: (Not specified).

-Publisher: (Not specified).

-Date of Publication: March 2009.

7. How did you determine this articale was meaningful?
- This article was the least complicating and confusing to understand and work with.

1 comment:

  1. I may have provided lists of periodicals in different subject areas, but there are common elements in each group and differences from group to group. Newsweek is a popular magazine, offering general articles with ads, pictures, and other elements. There's an editor for the articles. C&E News is a professional/trade journal, so aimed at people in chemistry or engineering. Articles are a little more in depth, but they are still short and vetted only by an editor. The Journal of Comparative Psychology is a research journal. When you look at it, you see articles of depth that reflect research. There are references and the articles are all peer-reviewed.

    Britannica Online: 60 is a large set of results for this database as your search was very broad. The results come up in relevance order, which is why the basic biology article was at the top of the list.

    You talk about its being "meaningful," which implies that it was "relevant," one of the C.A.R.D.I.O. criteria (remember those?!). It's also important to note that the articles are all approved before they are put in the database, which is an element that's missing from a Web search.

    Academic Search Premier: You have the right idea about narrowing your search, but to get it down to about 100 results, you would need to add more terms. For example, in some of your other assignments, did you use more terms than just "plant biology"? This is where you have to narrow what you are doing, which might even mean narrowing your topic, not just your terms. You could look at a region, e.g.,

    plant biology
    AND United States

    That would reduce your numbers.

    Another way to reduce your numbers would be to combine "plant biology" AND the name of a specific plant family or just plant and see what you get.

    Picking an article you understand is a good idea, but it's not the primary evaluative technique. Remember C.A.R.D.I.O.? That's the type of evaluation you should conduct--relevance, author credentials, etc.

    ReplyDelete